Monday, November 30, 2009

Beached

I was in an SUV with some people I know, squished next to a co-worker who I think has crush on me. He was trying to snuggle next to me. I felt kind of zombie-like, nothing seemed to phase me.

We were on our way to the beach.

I was keeping to myself on the way there, just taking in the sights out of the car window as they blurred by. I recognized the scenery to be very similar to where my beach house is in Galveston, Texas. I'm carefully looking at the houses we pass by to see if I can find my house. I see a lady dressed in a bright royal purple bell bottomed suit with an over sized matching purple top hat. I immediately recognize her to be my mom's realtor. I vocalize my discoveries.

We pull into a driveway of the house we are staying at and start walking to the beach. I can feel my co-worker's longing stare on my back but I just keep walking emptily towards our destination.

We get to the beach and it's overcast and slightly chilly but the water is warm. I start looking through tide pools in search of hidden eco-systems. Everywhere is covered in seaweed that is rotten and dead in shallow pools of water. In one pool, a family of crabs are grasping to the seaweed and they are dead and beginning to rot. Their shells are mailable and flattened. I can smell the bitter sea salt now. In all of the tide pools, there is an abundance of sea life that has all been desecrated. I can't seem to take my eyes off of this sea turtle. It is still in it's entirety but it's shell is now concave and it's limbs are lifeless.

I head to the outdoor showers and wash the sea scent off of myself.

As I round the corner of the showers, there is a locker area filled with flip flops and puddles of diluted ocean. I walk passed the locker area into a picnic area where there is one long picnic table. Everyone I came to the beach with is there, talking to my mom's realtor. I'm watching them talk but I can't hear comprehend anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment