Thursday, December 3, 2009

I've got a haunch

I was walking on a beach towards an ancient stone city. There was an open air market going on and I was browsing the goods of goblins, gnomes and other fantastic creatures. I was extremely overwhelmed by all of the handcrafted jewelry, trinkets, armor and weaponry. I wanted to buy everything.

I noticed that I had started rising off the ground. I turned to look over my shoulder and saw wings emerging and stretching out to their full wingspan. Small, light grey down feathers were floating to the ground. My wings were different shades of smoke. They beat slowly and were still carrying me upwards. I was still in shock and did not know how to control them, so I quickly became tangled in the branches of a nearby tree. It was extremely uncomfortable and I was struggling, but eventually I got the hang of it and flew out of the tree.

It still seemed like my wings were deciding where to go and I was just following. They took me up higher and higher until I noticed that I was scaling the walls of a seemingly infinite stone tower. I passed through the first layer of clouds and landed on an open area of the tower. There was nothing but stone over hangs and walls going into different corridors. The tower was cylindrical and maybe about fifty feet in diameter. It was not a live-able place, it's existence was for another reason.

I was walking around the floor of the tower, trying to find out why I had come here, when I notice that I am not alone. There is a woman up there who I seem to recognize. She gives me a very worn, thick, leather bound book. As soon as I open the book, it begins to rain. While I'm skimming through the pages, the woman tells me that I need to get in touch with the magic inside me. She says that there is a war about to be unleashed on the land and I must go rally the different races of the world to fight against the oncoming evil.

The woman says that all of the merchants from the market have started preparing themselves for the war and that the gnomes were on their way. I must quickly try to convince the giants and the humans to help before it is too late. She hands me a map pointing out where the humans and the giants dwell. I unfurl my wings and set off to "Unicorn Isle," land of the giants, with spell book and map in hand. A girl, a friend, is following me.

We arrive in a place that is barren and smokey. The sand and the broken mountains are all shades of red and orange. There is a haze everywhere. We spot an "island" where it seems the rubble has been assembled into Stonehenge-like formations. My friend tells me that is where the giants are. We head over there and something in the back of my head reminds me that I should not let the giants know that I am magical because they will feel inferior and get angry. The girl tells me that she needs to get something out of a lock box that is being guarded by the giants and that I will need to distract them while she picks the lock.

We land in the midst of the giants, who are maybe about 10 feet tall with pale skin, a lot of flesh and little clothing. They are more like ogres to me. They do not seem to be phased by our intrusion. My friend eyes the lock box and I struggle for something to do. I cannot pull out my spell book because the giants will see, I dig deep into my memory and remember something from when I was quickly skimming the spell book. The only spell I know is how to conjure a haunch of meat. Luckily for me, these giants love haunches of meat. I stand behind a pillar and conjure one and offer it to one of the giants and lure him away from the box. I keep conjuring haunches of meat for the giants, mainly because it is the only thing I can do. I look in my peripheral vision at my friend, who has successfully gotten the item out of the box and closed it. The meat is enough to convince the giants to help, they like me now. I tell them to prepare for war and head to the beach.

I fly off to rally the humans, while the girl goes back to the tower with the item.

I arrive at what looks to be a very industrial, metal and concrete area. Everything is very military-esque in color and appearance. There is a cylindrical building near where I have landed, but I cannot see anyone inside of it. I notice another building on a platform of the same style. I observe from afar for a while. It seems that the humans are doing some sort of ceremony or send-off. All of them are middle to late aged white males, dressed in army green military uniforms that have hints of dark, saturated red. Maybe some red stars. (I remember red stars on green) They are all happy and smiling. I walk over to one man who looks to be in charge and he tells me of their recent military accomplishments and is very happy to see me. He pats me on the back and enthusiastically agrees to help in the war. He will have his men there as soon as he can. They will march the entire way to the beach.

I arrive back at the tower where it is beginning to storm, lightning and all. I can see something dark coming through the clouds.

My alarm goes off, I tried desperately to fall back asleep. I wanted to see if I won. I wanted to keep fighting and lead them to victory. I guess I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment