Monday, December 28, 2009

Shinning, Shimmering, Splendid

I just got back to LA from my Houston holiday vacation. I like the airport. People surprise me sometimes. Rarely, but sometimes. I need a new sketchbook.

There was a man who had a Texas themed merchandise cart near the gate I was waiting at. He was stout and waddled with a heavy southern accent. Normally, I've noticed people working at those kiosks look so angry and bitter but not this guy. He greeted everyone as they walked buy, if they were looking or not and smiled happily in their direction. He struck up small conversations with the other airport employees as they went by and just kept on smiling. His enthusiasm made me smile as well. One lady got up from where she was sitting and sat somewhere else. The man noticed a wallet left on the floor and went one by one to everyone sitting around my gate asking if it was theirs, until the lady who was previously sitting there claimed it. People who love what they do no matter what it is make the world a better place.

Peeking through the gaps between airplane seats I saw a girl, maybe 3 or 4 years old sitting in front of me on my flight back to LA. Even though I dislike children, she was adorable, as adorable as a little girl could be. She was watching a Disney DVD on a laptop or something similar, princesses with high-pitched voices dancing around the screen. We started our decent into LAX. She turned for a brief moment away from the princesses and opened the window blind. She said "Daddy! I can see the world!" as her eyes widened, her voice quieted, "I can see it... down there."

No comments:

Post a Comment