Tuesday, December 29, 2009

RTFM

All night long I have had an immensely strong craving for semi-pulpy orange juice. I must find some.
---
I was in an Avatar-esque video game type of world. There were no monsters or blue people, just humans at a training facility/campus.

It was my job. I was just hired on and was going through my instruction manual. It was as thick as a phone book and I was getting bored with it so I lied and said I had read it all. Next thing I know, I'm on a flying ship and we are still doing basic training. First step, float around in space and learn how to navigate with only your own body. I am so anxious to jump out of the ship that I forget my breathing mask. I jump out with no oxygen mask on and immediately try to swim back to the ship. I hold my breath and try to push my body back. It's too far and I'm not moving fast enough so my body instinctively begins to grasp for air where my brain knows there isn't any. I pass out and see my body (in third person) drift back into the cargo part of the ship.

I wake up back in the training facility. I decide to read more of the instruction manual. I notice a co-worker from my real job sitting next to me doing a higher rank worksheet, or taking notes or studying. I ask him for help and he gives me words of encouragement. He scoots over next to me and helps me understand the manual. Now there is a tour group coming around. I wonder what my commander would say if she saw me next to him and then I decide that I don't care.

I'm now at another obstacle for training. It is a platform with lines and cris-crosses all over the floor. Another trainee jumps and dodges over the lines and I notice that the lines indicate where motion triggered lasers will come down. She dances through them with ease, demonstrating to a far off tour group. I decide to try next, just for fun. I jump over two and then as I'm trying to exit the platform I went too quickly through two lasers. I underestimated how close together they were. One cut my middle finger off and the other made a deep gash through my arm. It hurt, but it was a quick sensation, no blood. The other girl sees this and she suggests I get a new clone before we go on our next training session because if someone notices that I have 4 fingers, they will be really mad. I agree with this and head off to the cloning place.

It's a huge white building, it looks very similar to the White House but it is smaller. There are butlers running around and tediously polished, white marble floors. I try to hide my hand and pulling my sleeve down to hide my arm. A butler asks me where I'm going. I lie and say that my commander asked me to get a new clone. He asks for my permission slip, I didn't have one.

I am overcome with the feeling that I am not good enough and I wonder why I can't do any of the things the other recruits could.

No comments:

Post a Comment