Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lizards in my nose

There was another one.

I was going to an amusement park with two friends. I don't remember who they were. We were waiting in the lobby in a very long line trying to get into the ride we wanted. It was almost closing time for the actual park... I think we were going into a "Downtown Disney" sort of place. It's not very clear. I was looking around the room that we were currently in, we were on the second floor of a building with a bright pink interior and there were escalators down the middle. Out of one door comes a girl dressed as Barbie, and she goes through an "employee's only" door on the other side of the room.

The line moves a little and we walk into the next room.

In that room are a lot of bars and restaurants and I'm looking around to the bar/restaurant to the left. It sort of resembles an airport hallway, none of the places have doors, they are just small compartments in a row. I notice that I recognize someone in that restaurant and all of a sudden the person in front of me grabs my necklace. I turn around and I realize I know that person and the two other people that she is with. They were from my middle school. They walk into the restaurant next to us and I follow them. It turns out that it was a birthday celebration for a guy I barely knew in high school.

I look around and I recognize everyone as people from my past, some that were my friends and some that I talked to in passing. They had no relation to each other, other than that I knew them at some point. Some people are at the bar and everyone is eating barbecue, I sit down and just look around trying to figure out why all of these people are here and how I ended up here.

I smell the barbecue all around me and decide it's time to get some food. So I get up and walk over to the table where someone's mother is serving the food. She tells me there is only pork left and anything sounds good to me at this point. I watch her cut the pork and underneath a piece of meat, there were two dead, cooked lizards. Imagine a cross section of a pig's head, without the brains/bones or anything just small pieces of meat. The lizards were small like geckos and I could tell they were bright kelly green underneath the charred exterior. Across there back there was a stripe of iridescent flecked scales. I thought they were beautiful and I wasn't disgusted at all.

There has been ambient chatter in the background, but this is the first dialogue that I distinctly remember. The lady says "someone forgot to flush the lizards out of the nose." I said "it's ok, just give me the part that wasn't touching them." So she hands me a plate of meat from the other part of the mound and I take my plate and sit down at that table. I look across the table at a very young boy maybe 11 or 12 and he very much resembles one of my closest friends from my childhood. I stare for a while and then I ask him if he knows my friend. In my head I was thinking that maybe he had another brother. The boy laughs and says "I don't know, maybe we are his
kids." I look around to see who the "we" he was talking about was, and I notice there is another boy and a girl who look like they could all be related. The only thoughts that went through my head were "why would he do this to me?" "who has he found?" "why would he get married?" and things along the lines of that.
- - -
note: The friend from my childhood mentioned above is named Kristofer Schroder. We have been friends since we were in preschool and have been distantly close since then. Our relationship is a wonderful story on it's own so I won't get too deep into it. He is in the navy right now. He is not married and he does not have kids. Although he does have one brother and one sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment